West Pasco Bar Association
BAY AREA LEGAL SERVICES, INC. (BALS)
Staff Attorney- Civil Litigation-Public Interest
Bay Area Legal Services is a regional, non-profit public interest law firm providing the highest quality legal counsel by:
Assisting individuals and non-profit groups with limited access to legal services;
Resolving the legal problems of clients; and
Preserving the independence, hope, and dignity of those we serve.
Position Title: Staff Attorney (Full-time) Location: New Port Richey Office
Position Description: Bay Area Legal Services (BALS) is seeking to fill a full-time Staff Attorney position with 2-3 years of Civil Litigation experience to provide counsel and advice and represent clients in civil legal proceedings in traditional areas of public interest law, including landlord/tenant evictions; foreclosures, preserving federally subsidized housing rights and other housing laws, benefits and health, and advance planning. The Team Leader of the New Port Richey Office will supervise the position.
• Representation in court including emergency advocacy.
• Advice and assistance by telephone and in person.
• Interview applicants and determine if eligibility requirements for established legal services are satisfied. Document all client case information and related time spent in case management system accurately and timely. Ensure compliance with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) or other grantor requirements.
• Communicate with clients to learn about their legal needs and concerns, counsel, advise and refer them to appropriate public agencies or other community resources for additional services needed.
• Explain legal options and bring possible outcomes or risks to their attention.
• Develop and implement strategies to resolve cases favorably. Prepare legal documents, such as contracts, dispositions, briefs, oral arguments, and pleadings, accurately and in a timely manner. Research relevant legal materials to aid decision making, gather and analyze evidence, identify implications for cases from legal precedents or other legal information. Negotiate settlement of cases with opposing attorneys or parties. Prepare necessary correspondence relating to services rendered. Create and maintain relationships with organizations that are commonly adverse parties where possible to facilitate case resolution. Attend team meetings and collaborate with other attorneys on case questions.
• Develop arguments and represent clients participating in hearings before various courts and administrative bodies. Present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
• Travel to client meetings or hearings as necessary.
• Supervise junior attorney, legal assistants and activities of other legal personnel (legal interns, paralegals etc.)
• Assist other poverty program components as needed and offer advice in public relations, participate in appropriate community activities. This includes participation in BALS in-house committees and outside community/Florida Bar events when asked or needed.
• Stay informed about current legislation, especially assigned legal specialties. Attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses and/or other trainings to maintain knowledge in areas of expertise or gain new knowledge.
• Perform other duties as designated by the Team Leader.
• Juris Doctorate (JD), Florida Bar licensed and in good standing with the Bar.
• 2-3 years of Civil Litigation Experience.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, organize and review work of others.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Excellent prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Experience with legal database systems to document case assignments.
• Sympathetic and compassionate understanding of the social, economic, and legal issues faced by low-income individuals and the elderly with limited access to such services. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Previous experience in a non-profit legal services firm
Compensation: Depends upon experience, excellent benefits.
How to Apply: Send Resume and Cover Letter to HRresumes@bals.org
Deadline for resumes is December 5, 2019
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Non-Member job postings are $100
Agency postings are $100 per position/resume per month or
$500 per quarter for a banner ad with links to your website
Contact our Administrative Offices
for posting your open positions here!
Call us: 727-942-4503
or email us at: email@example.com